Friday, July 4, 2008

Day 12 – Townsend to Harlowton


The Chump, I mean champ




Ed carbo-loading with gatorade and hotdog buns


coney island got nothing on harlowton
The contestants Counter-Clockwise starting with me, joe, chad, g-reg, noah, steven and ed
To watch part of the action click on the link
Mark, ALAW support member, told us that this century should be easy because it’s practically all downhill with a tailwind. Bleepin' Liar. An uphill climb for the first 20 miles happened , rolling hills that should be considered small mountains and 15-20mph headwinds throughout the ride, too. I didn’t prepare myself for that mentally. In fact, I thought the whole time the ride would be a piece of cake (note to self: never listen to mark again). By mile 80, I had to stop and take a little breather, refuel with some soy nuts and m&m’s. As I was munchin, dewayne and patty passed me and ed. They too were feeling the effects of the ride and were tanked. With 20 miles left, we stuck it out and worked together as a team, Ed leading the way. He pulled us through the last 20 miles. DeWayne and I pulled the pace for ½ mile intervals, while Ed hammered out 2 miles at a time. Patty didn’t pull because she was that tanked, amazing how she was still able to stick on our wheel. We kept our pace around 20-22mph and got to camp in a little over an hour. Great job guys, fantastic teamwork, it's been my favorite moment of riding thus far.
My favorite moment outside of riding is the hot dog eating contest. Coney Island isn’t the only place having a dog eating contest. The contestants: Noah (the “heavy” favorite), Chad (the sleeper), Ed (the instigator), Joe (the dogsitter), Steven (RocketMan), and Me (the underdog). Noah won, but only by a quarter of a dog. Chad placed 2nd and Ed beat me to third. He was out grilling more dogs because he lost but I secretly was still eating to place third. I had only one more bun to eat when he ran over to his bun-gatorade filled water bottle. I munched, grinded, gagged to get the last bun down, but the bun-gatorade mix went down Ed’s hatch before I could finish. Chad should be crowned the true dog eating winner because he threw down 10 dogs, a hamburger, a few slices of watermelon and still had room for 2 scoops of ice cream. Noah, on the other hand, looked like shit. He would have forfeited his crown if he yacks within an hour of finishing and he actually held it down. Good job, champ.
There was another thunderstorm warning and a local rodeo cowboy told us to take shelter in a horse stable. I dragged my belongings to the stable and turned around to look for a motel. call me a priss, but there is no way in hell I’m going to sleep on the floor of a horse stable with hay and dried horse shit scattered randomly. No good. We piled 5 guys into a motel room for $10/person. Worth every penny.

No comments: