Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Day 23 Pierre to Miller

Half-way there

ALAW staff couldn’t have been crueler. They put me on Bfast duty…again and on the day we cross into Central Time, where we lose another hour. Apparently, the bfast and dinner duties have been previously schedule and Dan, the ride leader, has no control over it. I’d be happy to do dinner duties, but bfast duties hurts, man. I had to wake up at 5:30am. I don’t think I’ve even adjusted from Pacific Time yet so I’m practically getting up at 3:30am for bfast. I snoozed a couple of times and got out by 550am. Tony, an early riser, assumed I’d be late and set up half of it by the time I got there (thanks!). It’s funny, some of the slow risers use me as a barometer for how late they are. If they see me out of my tent, then they’re seriously late (better start moving your ass, Simon).
Ride really isn’t worth mentioning, except when Noah rubbed Ed’s tire when drafting. Noah shrieked, “Oh, F*@!” like a little sissy girl before his crash. The moment I turned around, I see Noah superman over his handlebars. He went unscathed except for his “big ride” shorts. He now has two matching holes along his pubic area, one from the fall and the other from getting snagged on a tree branch.

Noah - notorious for falling (#4). he strategically placed camelback in front because there are under 18yo reading

Me, Ed and noah couldn’t stop laughing at how he shrieked like a beotch, how he fell and how he has a new pair of shorts that almost exposes his junk. Thanks for the entertainment. When certain stretches get boring, I think of Noah flying face first and chuckle enough to snap me out of the boredom. Ed, on the other hand, straight up falls asleep, veers off the road and has to run over the rumble strips or loose gravel to whip’em straight.
We celebrated Chad’s 21st Bday at the only restaurant in town that would feed 40 hungry riders. After a couple of sirloin tips went down the hatch, we wasted no time to throw down some drinks. Even the locals bought rounds for the guys. Before I forget, I gotta give a shot out to my main man, Bobby Hanks. We had a 20 minute convo about life and to be honest I didn’t understand a word he said. It was as if I was talking to my grandfather (he speaks Chinese, I speaka English), I just nod and said, “uh-huh, yeah”. It didn’t help that he has a deep accent and had a $50 tab when I got to him – drinks run about $4.25, you do the math. But at least he bought me a drink.

No comments: