Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Day 30 Winona to Viroqua 66 miles

ed getting his carboload fix.
Kate Meyers interviews both ed and noah during the rest stop.

corn fields a very familiar site for the past 10 days

A super easy day before the dreaded 3 centuries in a row. About 20 miles into the ride, the Meyers family welcomed the big riders. In fact, they open their home to ALAW riders since their grandfather passed away from emphysema. They made tasty homemade treats for the riders, like carrot cake, espresso and chocolate raspberry muffins, ice tea, and punch. When I first rode up Kate Meyers comes up and asked me to autograph her baseball card of…me (I have my own baseball card and same with all of the other riders). I never knew I had a fan in Minnesota. In fact the family is so enthralled by the riders they had pictures of us on their personal computer’s screensaver. Any other time I’d find that a little stalker creepyish, but the Meyer’s family gets a pass in my books. They were very hospitable, making sure we were well fed and entertained. They even conducted interviews with some of the riders and can be found somewhere on the web (if I knew I’d tell you). If you participated in an interview you get a bracelet/anklet or necklace.
Poor Letty, a lactose intolerant suffererer, had a carrot cake muffin with the slightest bit of cream cheese frosting and gave her a not so good feelng in her tummy. Although she said it was worth the tummy-ache. (note to meyers family - the carrot cake muffin (and frosting) was awesome. I ate at least 3 of them and 1 of each other muffin. Yum, thanks a lot)

No comments: